Were You Harmed By Hospital Negligence?
Hospital patients entrust their health and safety to trained medical professionals, including nurses, surgeons, doctors and resident doctors (doctors-in-training). Even seemingly small acts of carelessness or negligence can seriously jeopardize a patient’s health. If you or a loved one has been the victim of an act of hospital negligence, we can help. We are the experienced hospital negligence and medical malpractice attorneys of Colley Shroyer Abraham.
We encourage you to call our firm at 614-678-5072 for a free consultation with one of us. You make no payment until we win your case.
Standing Up For Negligence Victims For More Than 40 Years
At the law firm of Colley Shroyer Abraham, we are available to help people who have suffered brain injuries, spinal injuries, other personal injuries or the wrongful death of loved ones due to hospital negligence. Since 1977, we have stood up for the rights of people throughout Ohio, including in Columbus, Portsmouth, Athens and Logan. We can help you obtain the compensation and justice you deserve.
What, Exactly, Is Hospital Negligence?
Acts of hospital negligence can come from any employees at the facility, including nurses, surgeons, doctors and resident doctors. Some cases of hospital negligence include:
- Medication errors: Wrong medication, nursing medication errors, failure to review for allergies to medication, overmedication
- Failure to call a doctor: Not reporting changes in condition to doctors, not reporting potential emergencies, not responding to potential complications
- Improper supervision: Failure to properly supervise an unhealthy or injured patient, leading to falls from bed, slip-and-falls in hospital halls, or other injuries
- Failure to treat: Not providing treatment to injured or sick patients
- Nursing negligence: Failure of a nurse to report a finding to a physician, failure to respond to important signs and symptoms of the patient, and failure to properly administer medications
- Resident negligence: Failure to respond to reports from nurses and failure of the hospital to supervise doctors-in-training
We are medical malpractice lawyers who take these cases very seriously. When you choose us, we will build a legal strategy based on your needs. We do not shy away from taking cases to trial. In fact, we thrive in that setting and have built a record of success in front of a jury. Depending on your needs, we are ready to move from skillful settlement negotiations to aggressive courtroom work at any point in your case.
Examples Of Our Results In Hospital Negligence Cases
We have obtained many successful results such as the following for clients who were injured or killed due to hospital negligence:
- $600,000 settlement: Woman’s face caught on fire during a surgery. The oxygen was ignited with a spark from electrocautery.
- $500,000: A 60-year-old man was at the hospital for a small bowel obstruction. He had a previous history of colon cancer and previous bowel resections. At approximately 5 p.m., he complained of severe pain in his abdomen. Later in the evening, his vital signs began to change. The nurse ignored the change in vital signs, as she thought he was a hospice patient and was there to die. Upon a nurse change in the early morning hours, the new nurse saw the deteriorating condition of the patient and called the surgeons. Bowel surgery was done on an emergency basis, but he died after surgery. He had suffered a bowel perforation. The defense claimed that earlier intervention would not have made a difference in the case.
- $390,000: A 65-year-old woman with significant health issues was in the hospital for a liver biopsy. One of the complications of a liver biopsy is bleeding. When she got back to the room, her vital signs began to change and her blood pressure was edging downward. She also complained of abdominal pain. A physician was not notified of these changes for approximately one hour. When notified, the physician immediately ordered a blood infusion. As they started to give her blood, she died.
Take a look at more of our outstanding verdicts and settlements.
Get An Experienced Legal Team For Your Hospital Negligence Case
Hospitals have teams of experienced lawyers to defend them against these claims. You need an experienced team on your side, too.