Menu Contact
Colley Shroyer Abraham
CALL Today Free Consultation 614-678-5072

Ohio Personal Injury Law Blog

Legionnaires' kills 1, sickens others at Mount Carmel Grove City

Mount Carmel Grove City hospital has reported an outbreak of Legionnaires' disease with at least 14 confirmed cases, including one death. The $361-million facility opened on April 28, and the first case of Legionnaires' was reported on April 29. This could indicate a serious problem with the facility's water system or maintenance practices.

Legionnaires' disease is a type of pneumonia that is caused by the Legionella pneumophila bacteria, which typically enters the system through inhalation. Legionnaires' is generally not transmitted by person-to-person contact. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Legionnaires' disease is commonly associated with buildings with complex water systems where the bacteria can spread.

Failed back surgery results in a medical malpractice lawsuit

Thousands of people in Ohio are plagued by back pain. Open a magazine, watch TV and one may get the impression it's one of the foremost health issues in the country, and it is. The population is aging and body parts are not immune. Back pain is one of the most common complaints among those who are middle-aged or elderly. There are many types of surgeries that strive to relieve back pain, and one such surgery in another state failed and resulted in a medical malpractice lawsuit.

A 42-year-old woman suffered from numbness and pain in her lower back. Doctors performed a laminectomy, also known as spinal decompression. Complications resulting from the surgery left her mostly paralyzed from the chest down. It is believed that the complications were caused by a failure to remove a gelfoam dressing used during the surgery as well as an absence of drains to drain off excess fluid from the surgical area.

Football helmet is possibly a defective product

Football is a dangerous sport. Players wear a significant amount of padding and specially designed helmets in an effort to protect themselves from serious injury. In Ohio and elsewhere, it remains a very popular sport with young men beginning at a very young age. Even with the protection, injuries can still occur. One such injury, that may have contributed to the death of a 22-year-old man, has resulted in a products liability case involving a potentially defective product.

The young man had played football from the age of 8 and played through high school. He played his last game at the age of 18. The man's family were not unaware of the dangers of their son playing football but had spoken with members of the medical community and felt that the safety equipment used provided sufficient protection.

Ohio Family Dies Due To Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

A recent tragedy occurred in Geona Township, Ohio when four members of the Reitter family died after a faulty water heater released carbon monoxide into their home.

According to local investigators, the water heater was similar to a model that was part of a recent product recall by the US Consumer Product Safety Commission.

Medical mistake can end a career

A professional is typically someone who has undertaken rigorous training and or education to attain a level of expertise in his or her chosen field. Surgeons are among this group and people entrust their lives to them. A surgical error, or medical mistake, can have catastrophic consequences in Ohio.

A man in another state, who happened to be a professional athlete, brought a lawsuit against a surgeon and a hospital for a mistake made in a surgery that the gentleman claimed caused the end of his career. The man had been admitted and was scheduled for surgery to relieve back pain that was hampering his athletic career. Following the surgery, the patient continued to suffer back pain and also had issues involving his spinal fluid.

Failure to accurately report test results causes medical mistake

Baby boomers are looking to enjoy a long and healthy retirement in Ohio. One proactive measure that many take to help ensure that outcome is to have a cancer screening. Recommended screenings include colonoscopies, mammograms and monitoring moles and other irregularities for possible skin cancers. While having the tests done is an excellent idea, a medical mistake can severely limit the efficacy of the test itself.

A recent case illustrates how failure to accurately report test results can have a catastrophic impact on a patient's life. A woman went for a colonoscopy when she turned 50. The examination revealed a polyp in the colon. Polyps can be cancerous and are typically removed if encountered in a colonoscopy and sent to a lab for further examination. That occurred in this case and the polyp was found to be cancerous, and there was evidence that not all of the cancer had been removed.

Hospital parking lot's negligent security concerns many

Whether arriving for work, going shopping or taking care of business matters, Ohio residents may use parking lots at any time of the day or night. With distractions like cellphones, to-do lists and deadlines, they may not always be aware of their surroundings. In fact, they may take for granted that they are safe from harm until a predator takes advantage of a parking lot's negligent security.

A woman in another state is still trying to recover from the emotional trauma of a robbery at gunpoint. She had parked in the employee lot of the hospital where she worked when three men attacked her, took her purse and keys, and drove off in her car. Although two of the men supposedly crashed the car the next day, police did not arrest them despite finding a gun in the vehicle.

Nicotine in vaping devices may be a dangerous product

Until recently, nicotine use among young people in Ohio and around the nation was on the decline. However, the introduction of e-cigarettes, also known as vaping, appears to be reversing this trend. It is estimated that as many as 21% of high school students have taken up the habit of vaping. The juice that is used in the vaping devices often contains nicotine, which is known to be a dangerous product that is an addictive and potentially cancer-causing substance. It is also believed that the liquids contain chemical ingredients that can interfere with brain development.

In a move to help protect young people from the potential dangers of vaping, the Governor of Ohio is proposing raising the age to purchase these products from 18 to 21. A recent study showed that fewer than half of the regular users began using before the age of 18. It is hoped that increasing the purchasing age will help reduce the number of first-time users in the school population.

Justice Department files federal charges over defective product

When the average consumer purchases a product, they do so with the expectation that the item will perform in the manner described. Unfortunately, there have been many cases when a purchase resulted in significant damages or physical injury when the item malfunctioned. Currently, there are ongoing recalls for a defective product that could be in use in homes in Ohio.

Recently, the U.S. Justice Department filed federal charges against two company executives who are purportedly responsible for allowing the sale of Gree dehumidifiers that have been implicated in causes fires. The Consumer Product Safety Commission is urging consumers to check their devices against the recall lists in order to prevent further damages. There have been an estimated 500 fires that were caused by a dehumidifier overheating. It is estimated that these fires have resulted in more than $25 million in damages and the death of one family pet so far.

Serious medical mistake has tragic consequences

People in Ohio and around the nation tend to trust their doctors to deliver accurate medical information and certainly accurate test results. A diagnosis of cancer, while not always the death sentence it once was, is still frightening. In a recent case in another state a man received a cancer diagnosis and had surgery as a result of the diagnosis, only to then find out that he did not have cancer at all. A serious medical mistake led to the mishap.

The man went to the doctor with symptoms that could indicate prostate cancer, and so a biopsy was done. The man and his wife were told that he did have prostate cancer and the best option was to remove the prostate. The surgery was completed but not without complications. The man was left impotent and incontinent following the procedure. It was then discovered that his test results had been confused with another man's and the surgery had been completely unnecessary.

contact button

Contact Us For A Free Legal Consultation

To discuss your legal matter with an attorney at our firm, call 614-678-5072 or complete the contact form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information
disclaimer.

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.

close

Privacy Policy

  • Rated by super lawyer Daniel N Abraham
  • Rated by super lawyer David I. Shroyer
  • OHIO State Bar Association
  • Columbus Bar Association
  •  The ATLA
  • American Board of Trial Advocates