A recent tragedy occurred in Geona Township, Ohio when four members of the Reitter family died after a faulty water heater released carbon monoxide into their home.
Until recently, nicotine use among young people in Ohio and around the nation was on the decline. However, the introduction of e-cigarettes, also known as vaping, appears to be reversing this trend. It is estimated that as many as 21% of high school students have taken up the habit of vaping. The juice that is used in the vaping devices often contains nicotine, which is known to be a dangerous product that is an addictive and potentially cancer-causing substance. It is also believed that the liquids contain chemical ingredients that can interfere with brain development.
When the average consumer purchases a product, they do so with the expectation that the item will perform in the manner described. Unfortunately, there have been many cases when a purchase resulted in significant damages or physical injury when the item malfunctioned. Currently, there are ongoing recalls for a defective product that could be in use in homes in Ohio.
Dogs are considered man's best friend. Most dog owners consider their pets to be part of the family in Ohio. Hundreds of families around the state and around the country have been mourning the loss of a canine family member in recent days. The cause is believed to have come from a defective product that owners were feeding their pets.
Ohio residents might be frustrated as the 2019 shutdown of the federal government drags on. Though things seem to be improving and many federal entities are preparing to resume business as usual, there may be some lasting effects of one of the longest shutdowns in history. One thing people may not know is that while the some government entities were closed down or operating on a skeleton staff, everyday consumers were at risk because nobody was watching to issue a product recall, if necessary.
Medicine is meant to improve a person's physical or mental condition. While medications need to be taken according to instructions to be effective, taking them as instructed should not be harmful. A judge in Ohio has recently issued a ruling allowing several claims against retailers, manufacturers and distributors to proceed. He stated in part of the ruling that these parties had taken part in the creation of a dangerous product that has plagued our nation for the past 20 years.
It is Thanksgiving, and the holiday season is here. No one wants to have his or her holiday festivities marred by an incident of food poisoning. A product recall should serve as a notice for people in Ohio to check their pantry or freezer for potential issues.
When one goes to the grocery store in Ohio and purchases packaged, processed foods, one expects that the items will be safe to eat. One might check an expiration or sell-by date, but otherwise, the purchase is made with confidence that it is safe. A recent product recall by Ukrop's Homestyle Foods may give consumers a reason to take a second look at some purchases.
The USDA exists to maintain safety in the United States food supply. People in Ohio go to a grocery store and trust the process that is in place to protect the food that they are purchasing. This allows them to shop with confidence that the food they are buying is safe to eat. While that is almost always the case, occasionally problems arise and a product recall is issued.
When it comes to product defects, the first things that come to mind might be mass produced goods. Many may remember the national Tylenol recall of 1982, prompted by product tampering that killed seven people. In 2014, General Motors recalled 30 million cars due to faulty ignitions that resulted in 124 deaths. And then there's the Takata air bag recall that continues today.