Giving You The Resources To Recover

Medical mistake may have contributed to patient’s death

On Behalf of | Feb 19, 2019 | Medical Malpractice |

Americans are living longer and more productive lives than their ancestors. Ailments and disease that may have led to death in the past are now successfully treated and often cured. As a result, people are living longer, but not necessarily better. The body can begin to fail and require round the clock care that causes a person to be admitted to a nursing home. While many such facilities in Ohio and around the country offer excellent levels of care, some do fall short, and a medical mistake in one such facility may have contributed to the death of a patient.

A man was admitted to the facility, and his medical history showed that he was prone to bed sores. He did not have any sores at the time of his admission to the facility. Bed sores can be prevented by ensuring the patient does not remain in one position for too long and also by keeping skin clean and dry.

Two months after being admitted to the nursing home, the patient developed bed sores that quickly became severe. He was treated at an area hospital and a short time later was returned to the care of the nursing home. The sores reportedly continued to worsen, and the patient was hospitalized two more times. After the last hospital visit, the patient was released to hospice care where he died within a month. The man’s estate has filed a suit including charges of wrongful death against the nursing home.

Having to surrender the care of a loved one to a nursing home can be a very difficult decision. It comes about as a person faces the reality of having to maintain a job and care for other members of a family in Ohio. Many nursing homes strive to provide quality care for their patients. But in the instance where a family member feels a loved one did not receive the care needed and that a medical mistake may have occurred, a consultation with an experienced personal injury attorney can be helpful in determining if a civil suit is a viable option.