Menu Contact
Colley Shroyer Abraham
CALL Today Free Consultation 614-678-5072

Why is my insurance company concerned about my accident?

If you have ever suffered an injury that has sent you to the doctor, chances are you have been asked by the nurse if the injury was related to any specific event. They may have asked if your injury was work related or if it was the result of a car accident. If you have ever had to say yes to one of these questions, you may have been contacted by your insurance company. Fortunately, this is standard practice and nothing to worry about. It is simply your insurance company determining if they should proceed with a subrogation action.

If you have suffered an injury and a third party may be partly to blame, your insurance company has a right to be indemnified for their out-of-pocket costs. If for example, an individual suffered a slip and fall injury due to a sidewalk defect, and then went on to sue the municipality for their loss, the injured party's insurance company could seek compensation for the claims that they paid related to the injured parties medical treatment.

The act of subrogation is essentially standing one party in place of another. If and when an injured party receives compensation for their injury from the responsible party, they will usually be responsible for indemnifying their insurance company. Occasionally, the private insurance company, or collateral source provider, may be able to settle their own subrogation action with the responsible party. Unfortunately, issues of subrogation can sometimes create challenges during the settlement process.

If you have been injured in an accident and are concerned with how your insurance company's subrogation rights will affect your settlement, you may want to speak with an attorney. With their help, you may be able to better understand subrogation laws and work with your insurance company toward resolution.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
contact button

Contact Us For A Free Legal Consultation

To discuss your legal matter with an attorney at our firm, call 614-678-5072 or complete the contact form below.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

  • Rated by super lawyer Daniel N Abraham
  • Rated by super lawyer David I. Shroyer
  • OHIO State Bar Association
  • Columbus Bar Association
  •  The ATLA
  • American Board of Trial Advocates